Hiring a good resource in your digital marketing team creates a lot of difference as you want to implement your strategies. It is the skills that are important and an understanding of how a business works, and the ability to be in their shoes. It is important to work together as a team, considering no one to be below or above themselves when accomplishing a certain task. A lot of ownership is needed by the individual at every stage.
Some tasks might look dull but equally important in the long run, and some tasks need a double eye to go through before making it live. Ego, hierarchy, and designations need to be kept aside, and focus should be given to make your work a success. Being a very dynamic industry, a desire to continuously learn the latest happening in the industry and think of its implementation is essential.
How do we find a person who has all these qualities which make up for a good resource in the team? One major way of finding that person is to ask the right questions when interviewing for any role. However, it might not be possible to find a person who knows everything we want. We have to find someone who can be groomed to be that person.
Let’s look at some questions we might want to ask when interviewing for the digital marketer’s role. It will cover a range of categories, and depending on how your interview is moving forward or the role you want him to hire for, and you might want to dig deeper or want to skip some of these questions.
Questions about Digital marketing:
It is important to understand whether the candidate understands the digital marketing landscape by asking him some fundamental digital marketing questions. A person who doesn’t understand digital marketing will need a lot of grooming once hired before any impact can be made.
- What is digital marketing according to you, and why are you interested in pursuing a career in it?
- How would you categorize digital marketing?
- What are the components of digital marketing?
- What are some of the most efficient and useful digital marketing tools?
- How is digital marketing different than a traditional form of marketing?
- Why do you believe that online marketing will be more beneficial to a company compared to offline marketing?
- Talk about one of your most effective campaigns. What made them so effective?
- What is your strategy to improve our current business through digital marketing?
- Do you believe that there are limitations and challenges to digital marketing, and how would you overcome them?
- What are the differences between digital marketing and branding?
- What are some effective ways to increase your traffic?
- Difference between page views and sessions.
- What are some digital marketing tools which you are aware of?
- What do you know about email marketing?
- How will you write a perfect marketing email?
- What should be the ideal length of marketing emails?
- What would you do to improve the Click-through-rate of your email?
- What are the key differences between hard and soft bounce emails?
- How to prevent an email from getting into spam?
- What are some latest digital marketing trends?
- Why do we do a competition analysis?
- What do you know about listing directories?
- Have you ever heard of Google My Business? If yes, then shed some light on it.
- How to inform your customers about company news and establish a relationship with them?
- What is A/B Testing, and give some examples of A/B Testing?
Questions about Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a cornerstone for ranking high on search engines organically. This is very useful for brands to receive a lot of visitors if done properly. Hence, it becomes a crucial aspect of any resource working in the digital marketing team to understand how SEO works.
- What is SEO?
- What is the difference between on-page SEO and off-page SEO?
- What are some important elements to focus on while developing a website?
- How do you plan on optimizing our site ranking and increase the traffic on our website?
- List the most popular local SEO ranking factors.
- How to do keyword analysis? What keywords would you pick?
- What tools do you use for keyword analysis?
- What are long-tail keywords?
- When should Short Tail and Long Tail keywords be targeted?
- What are some on-page avenues where keywords can be optimized?
- What is the use of anchor text in SEO?
- What is the relationship between SEO and content marketing?
- How do you find topics for your content?
- What is a responsive web design?
- What is Mobile-First Indexing?
- What is AMP?
- What are the ways in which you can Increase Web page speed?
- What are webmaster tools?
- Why are backlinks important in SEO?
- Differentiate between do-follow and no-follow links.
- What are the best ways to get natural backlinks to your site?
- How are bad links characterized?
- What is a 301 redirect? How different is it from a 302 Redirect?
- How to avoid the content penalty for duplicates?
- What are some common SEO mistakes in digital content production?
Questions about Search Engine Marketing (SEM) / Pay-Per-Click (PPC)
Search engine marketing (SEM) or pay-per-click (PPC) is a significant investment that any business makes to generate more awareness, consideration, or decision for their products or service. A digital marketer should understand how to run an effective paid campaign to generate higher returns on investment.
- What is PPC (Pay-Per-Click)?
- What role does paid advertising play in your overall strategy?
- What are some of the important components of a PPC campaign?
- What are the different ad formats available on Google Ads?
- What is a Google Ad remarketing campaign?
- What is Ad Scheduling?
- Name some Google Ads extension.
- How many ads should be implemented per ad group?
- Which are the 3 required parts of a text ad?
- What is Quality Score? Which 3 factors determine Quality Score?
- How can you improve conversion rates?
- What are some of the hallmarks of a good PPC landing page?
- How does Google determine the Ad Rank?
- Mention some bidding options
- What should be your approach to an effective Paid campaign?
- What are some of the reasons as to why your ads could have been rejected?
- Which form of digital marketing is better: SEO or PPC?
Questions about Social Media
Social media is not just Facebook or Instagram but also a range of platforms with its own niche and functioning intricacies. If a brand wants to be successful on any social media platform, then the social media handler should understand how they work.
- According to you, why is social media important for a business, and what are the most successful social media platforms?
- How can you use social media for marketing?
- What successful social media campaign you have run from beginning to end?
- What is important – engagement or likes/followers?
- What are the types of Facebook ads?
- How would you use Twitter for business development?
- How would you use LinkedIn for digital marketing?
- Why should we use YouTube for digital marketing?
- What are the best practices to rank your YouTube videos?
- How do you respond to negative comments?
- How can you use social media to promote your event?
- How will you Increase the CTR?
- How will you write a great CTA?
- How will you measure social media marketing success?
Questions on Content Marketing
No matter who coined or made the term ‘content is the king’ popular, it still is relevant today. Hence, every digital marketing should understand some basic truth about content marketing.
- What is content marketing, and how do you decide on what content to publish?
- What is the need for content marketing?
- What are some content types which make an effective digital marketing strategy?
- What are the advantages of having a content calendar?
Digital marketing is a dynamic field, and with how fast the world is changing, it becomes imperative for anyone in the field to invest in learning the latest trends of the industry. This is very useful to run a successful digital marketing strategy for any business.
- What is the importance of thought leadership in digital marketing?
- What do you do to keep yourself updated with the latest happenings?
Personality based questions
Nobody is perfect, but we don’t just want anybody working with us. Every role is different and different personalities suit different types of roles. We should try to understand whether a person is suited for the role of digital marketing.
- Where do you see yourself 5 years down the line?
- How would you describe yourself when working in a team?
- How would you describe yourself when you have to take ownership of the work?
- How would you react if someone at a designation lower than you will have to give your work approval? The same person you have to take approval from doesn’t reply to you in the given time. What would you do if the client deliverable is nearing its deadline?
- What is the importance of feedback? How would you react if someone at a lower designation then you provide feedback to your work? How would you react to feedback when you have spent a lot of time work on a given task and eventually everything needs to be changed about it?
- Do you think there is any work aspect that you might not want to do if assigned to you?
- What aspect of work do you dislike or like the least?
- What are the skills needed for digital marketing?
- What is your motivation to work?
- What is your biggest accomplishment?
- What would you do if someone disagrees with you?